CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday 17 December 2008

'Mon The Biffy!

Biffy Clyro. A long time in waiting for me to see one of my favourite bands. Alot of hype and excitement from my friends told me that this was going to be a cracker. Wasn't I right?


Travelled down to Dublin around 5pm and was lucky enough to hit no rush hour traffic. Breeze.

The Academy was tonight's venue. Intimate and perfect for my first live Biffy experience.

Fighting With Wire were the support. The local lads from Derry were off the hook. I remember watching these boys rock out the Empire in Belfast many years ago and boy have they got better!

Cahir's crunchy, hard driven guitar work and "let's kick the dung out of you" vocals exploded through the Academy and the Dublin crowd were left in awe of this newly signed band. "Everyone Needs A Nemesis" certainly a highlight as was the new single "Sugar." You couldn't ask for a better support act and I tip Fighting With Wire to big things. Fighting With Wire set the standard for Northern Irish acts in my opinion. Breathtaking.

Then onto the reason we live. Biffy Clyro hit the stage. In excitement what they will play first.. "Living Is A Problem Because Everyone Dies" is the perfect introduction and I'm left in utter excitement after only the first song. "Saturday Superhouse" follows and, being one of my favourite Biffy tunes, didn't disappoint. Playing classics like Just Boy and Joy. Discovery. Invention brought back those memories why I love rock music. 

A beautiful chilled out acoustic set from Simon Neill in the middle was pure bliss. I've been to many gigs before but never have I heard a crowd sing along so well to a band than I did tonight.

Back to rock. A good mixture of classics and new tunes went down a treat. Highlight of the night was when they played "Only One Words Comes To Mind." This was the first song I heard of Biffy Clyro. From this, I fell in love with the music of three Scottish lads. They've changed over the years but still blow me away with their music and album after album.

Good to see Biffy on for an encore playing "57" It just couldn't of been a better night without it.

This definitely was the best gig I've ever been to. Tops Maiden and Leonard by miles.

10/10

0 comments: